Both dogs and cats can suffer accidents and injuries in and around the home. Here are a few tips that may help keep your pets safe from common household accidents.
Keep small, easily swallowed objects in containers or otherwise out of your pet’s reach. While both dogs and cats have been known to swallow items that no one would ever think possible, there are numerous objects that are commonly seen in surgical procedures to remove foreign bodies from pets:
Balls • Coins • Buttons • Batteries • Twist ties • Rubber bands • Cotton swabs • Hair pins • Hair ties • Jewelry • Paper clips • Glass ornaments • Plastic wrap • Plastic bags • Yarn • Ribbon • Needles • Thread • Dental floss • Candles • Socks • Nylons • Towels
Don’t leave your medications on low night stands or within pets’ reach. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center handles more than 180,000 poisoning cases each year and the number one culprit is accidental ingestion of human medications. Particularly dangerous for pets are:
Ibuprofen • Aspirin • Acetaminophen • Cold and flu medications • Vitamins • Diet pills • Anti-cancer drugs • Antidepressants
Store cleaning products and pest control products in securely latched cabinets and keep lids on toilets and trash cans closed. Dangerous items include:
Detergents • Drain cleaners • Disinfectants • Bleach • Lime/scale remover • Paint thinner • Oven cleaner • Rodent bait • Flea/tick products • Mothballs • Ant bait • Potpourri
Keep food, especially candy and gum, out of reach. Harmful foods include:
Chocolate • Grapes • Raisins • Avocados • Onions • Garlic • Salt • Tea leaves • Coffee • Fatty foods • Raw yeast dough • Alcohol Spoiled food • Macadamia nuts • Xylitol (a sweetener often found in candy and gum)
Accidents do happen, but taking some steps to help keep dangerous items out of your pet’s reach can lessen the chances of an emergency. If you believe your pet has consumed something harmful, call your veterinarian or nearest pet emergency clinic immediately.